Raspberry Swiss Roll
Posted on 27th February 2023 at 14:33
Home-made Swiss rolls are soooooo good and surprising quick and easy to make ...
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 10 - 30 minutes
Serves : 6-8
4 free-range eggs
115g caster sugar, plus extra to dust (you can also use icing sugar)
1/2 tsp tsp vanilla bean paste
75g self-raising flour
200ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g whole raspberries
For the Raspberry Jam :
150g caster sugar
1/2 tsp lemon, zest, and juice
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5 and line a 23x33cm/9x13in Swiss roll tin with greaseproof baking paper.
2. Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla paste into a bowl and whisk together until pale, fluffy, and thickened to the consistency of double cream.
3. Sieve the flour into the mixture and carefully fold it in preserving as much air as possible. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and spread it evenly with the spatula. Bake for 10–12 minutes, or until just firm to the touch.
4. Place a sheet of baking paper, slightly bigger than the tray, onto a work surface and dust with caster sugar. Turn the sponge out onto the paper, peel off the baking paper on the bottom of the sponge and set aside to cool a little.
5. Pour the double cream and vanilla extract into a large bowl and whip to soft peaks.
6. Make the jam - Heat a pan until hot. Add the sugar, lemon zest and juice and cook for 3–4 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Throw in the 350g of raspberries and cook for 3–5 minutes until they break down and thicken. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
7. Spread the jam over the sponge, leaving a 2cm gap around the edge. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the jam, then sprinkle over the whole raspberries.
8. Starting with the longest edge of the sponge and using the baking paper to help (but take care not to roll the paper inside the sponge!), roll the sponge up tightly, making sure the filling stays inside. Keep rolling until the sponge rolls off the baking paper. Dust with extra caster sugar and cut into slices.
Tagged as: Recipes
Share this post: